Wednesday 24 July 2013

Tortilla with a Difference

For lunch today I decided to make a tortilla. 
It wasn't until I'd chopped the onions and started to sauté them that I realised I didn't have any potatoes. 


What to do?
I improvised. 
I made a faux-tilla tortilla. :o
Basically I used eggs, onions, garlic, and various vegetables that were in the fridge. 


If you're interested in my faux-tilla tortilla concoction, here's how I made it. 


Ingredients ~

1. Onions.


Chop lots of onions. The amount depends on how much you like onion. 
I like a lot, so I used half a dozen, which I chopped in to half moon slices. 

2. Garlic. 


I love garlic, so once again I used a generous amount. 
I roughly chopped 5 large cloves in to small pieces. 


3. Aubergine. 


There's not much that's tastier than soft sweet aubergine. 
I cut the aubergine in to slices of about 2 centimetres. 

4. Courgette. 
Quick to cook, and good to eat. 
I cut the courgette in to slices, roughly the same thickness as the aubergine. 

5. Bell Pepper.


I had a yellow pepper, so I chopped it up in to smallish squares. 

6. Eggs


I may not have had any potatoes, but at least I had eggs. Free range of course. 
I whisked half a dozen eggs, added a little milk (goats milk). 


Method ~ 

As I didn't have any potatoes, and this wasn't a traditional tortilla recipe, I just started chucking my ingredients in to various pans and got on with the cooking. 

1. First I sautéed the onion. 
As I began the raw onions were almost spilling over the top of the pan, but, as always, the minutes ticked by and they began to soften and shrink. 
Then I added the chopped garlic to the onions.
After much stirring, and about 30 minutes the onions were cooked to perfection; soft, golden brown, and seriously sweet. 
I resisted the temptation to scoff the lot right there and then. ;) 


2. Whilst I sautéed the onions and garlic, I also cooked the aubergine in a frying pan with olive oil. 

3. In yet another pan, I sautéed the courgettes and the yellow bell pepper. 
I didn't think they'd mind sharing the same pan. Well, I've only got one pair of hands. ;)


4. Once the onions, garlic, aubergine, courgettes, and bell pepper were cooked, I put them in to an ovenproof dish. 
First I put the sautéed onions and garlic on the bottom of the dish.
Next I scattered the aubergine on top.
Then the courgette, followed by the bell pepper. 

5. I cracked 6 free range eggs in to a jug, added a dash of goats milk, and whisked until light and frothy. 


6. Finally after what felt like several hours of chopping, and sautéing vegetables, but in fact wasn't that long at all, I was ready for the final part. 
I poured the egg mixture in to the ovenproof dish over my faux-tilla tortilla vegetables. 


7. The dish went in the oven, on a medium heat, for about 30-40 minutes. 
As usual when I cook I pay no attention to the time at all, so I'm not exactly sure how long it took to cook. I just made sure to check the oven every now and then. All ovens are different. You'll know what's a good heat for yours. 
When my faux-tilla tortilla looked bubbly around the edges, and lovely and brown on top, I considered it to be cooked. 


While my faux-tilla tortilla was happily cooking in the oven, I had started my second round of chopping. 
This time it was salad ingredients. 
The weather was warm, so I thought the tortilla would be nice served cool with a mixed salad. 


By the time I'd chopped the salad stuff up the tortilla had cooled down a little and was ready to serve. 


So, I may not have had any potatoes for my tortilla, but my potato-less faux-tilla tortilla was seriously delicious. 
I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did Mr.R. 
In fact once he began eating it he didn't speak once, not until after his last mouthful when he declared, 'that was really good, thank you darling!' :)

If you fancy an easy and tasty meal, and you've got eggs, and potatoes, you could make a tortilla. 
Or, if like me, you haven't got any spuds, you can improvise. Haha! 
I love tortilla, or as in this case, faux-tilla. :) 
Do you like tortilla? 








No comments:

Post a Comment