Wednesday 11 June 2014

JK Rowling Donates £1 Million to 'Better Together' Campaign Against Scottish Independence

JK Rowling Donates £1 Million to 'Better Together' Campaign Against Scottish Independence 

JK Rowling has reportedly confirmed that she has donated £1 Million to Better Together, the campaign against Scotland becoming independent from the rest of the UK.

image

Unsurprisingly the Harry Potter author was then targeted by haters, known as cybernats, on social networking sites.
I saw some of the tweets about the £1 million donation from JK Rowling, and they are not pleasant.
The feeling of anonymity on the Internet definitely makes people feel brave.
Apparently JK Rowling said she was expecting to be criticised online by those who disagree with her opinions.
I guess JK Rowling made the donation public to help boost publicity for the cause she believes in.
But then who knows with 'celebrities' they are usually more than willing to make their lives public for a bit of limelight.
However, I doubt JK Rowling needs any publicity to boost her career.
I've never read anything she's written, I don't even know what her books are about, but apparently she's pretty successful, and wealthy.
Donating one million quid is probably not going to affect her lifestyle negatively, and I truly believe it's her money to do with what she chooses.
It does seem unfair though that JK Rowling seems to be receiving targeted hate messages via the Internet, and in the mainstream media, and yet Chris and Colin Weir, the couple who won £161 million on the Euromillions in 2011 and have donated £2.5 million to Alex Salmond in his bid for Scottish independence are hardly being mentioned at all.
I guess the fact that JK Rowling has been a vocal Labour Party supporter may be why some of the media seems happy to criticise her generous donation.

I don't agree with JK Rowling re her opinions on Scottish independence, but that's not something I'm going to write about on this blog post. I vaguely remember writing about all of this ages ago, maybe on this blog, or possibly on a government survey website. Anyway, that's not important for this blog post.
I just find it interesting that she's being painted as the villain by the media, and I wonder if it's because she's a woman?
Also she isn't even Scottish, which seems to be upsetting quite a lot of people, if you believe some of the tweets about her.
JK Rowling was born in the West Country, but currently lives in Edinburgh, and has lived in Scotland for 21 years.

image


I don't know how much JK Rowling is worth, but I assume her bank balance is much healthier than mine, so she obviously cares a great deal about Scotland, otherwise she wouldn't live there - would she?
I mean, I've always said to Mr.R that I think Scotland is the most beautiful place in the World, at least of all the countries I've been to.
Mr.R hasn't been to Scotland, so he just has to take my word for it for now, but as we are now so far up North, that we live within spitting distance of Scotland, I'm sure it won't be long before he gets to see how beautiful Scotland is.
So, as I was saying before I started thinking about how pretty Scotland is, and Mr.R never seeing it etc. I meant to say that JK Rowling clearly loves Scotland, because she chooses to live there, when with her fortunate financial position means she could live absolutely anywhere in the World.
As I said, I think Scotland is lovely, but I'd never choose to live there.
Actually I think Wales may be the most beautiful place in the World. I wouldn't choose to live in Wales either, but that's my mind starting to wander off topic again.......
Oops, this is supposed to be about JK Rowling and her million quid donation to the Better Together campaign against Scottish Independence. Ha! Typical me, rambling on about unrelated nonsense.
Right, so yeah, a well-known successful author makes a donation of £1 million to help support a cause she believes in - keeping Scotland in the UK. She's not Scottish, and has reportedly said that despite residing in Scotland for 21 years, there is a 'fringe of nationalists who like to demonise anyone who is not blindly and unquestionably pro-independence'. 'I suspect, notwithstanding the fact that I've lived in Scotland for 21 years and plan to remain here for the rest of my life, that they might judge me "insufficiently Scottish" to have a valid view.'

It's all good stuff for the newspapers I guess; big name, headline news, money, politics - it's a story that'll run and run, and sell lots of newspapers, and get them tons of online hits.

As I seem to have lost the plot re what I initially wanted to write, I shall try to end this blog post before my typing fingers, I only use 2, go completely numb. Hehe! Or my head explodes from the struggle to think coherently enough to make any sense.
Hmm, I think that hope vanished several paragraphs ago.

Anyway, so, yep, Scotland, independence, etc.
I just read something I didn't know about this, apparently, well according to one newspaper article, if you're Scottish, but living below the border you can't vote.
Crikey! That seems ludicrous. Surely if you are of Scottish nationality then you must be given the opportunity to vote for or against something that is important to your country?
Having said that, and I certain this will not be a popular opinion, but this is my blog so I can say what I want to say, I think that we should all get a vote.
I mean, everyone who is British; English, Welsh etc.
Why?
Well in simple terms, because Scottish MP's get a say in how we live in England. They vote on things that affect us.
I also read that 80% of English people want Scottish MPs barred from voting on anything purely to do with England.
So, I think all Brits should be able to vote in whether Scotland remains part of the UK or gains its independence.

I am well aware that this is a serious topic, but I'm not in a serious mood, and there's more than enough serious debate about Scottish independence elsewhere online, if you're inclined to read it.
I know there are many important things to consider about Scotland and its bid for independence, the politics, trade, finance etc. But more importantly, if Scotland does leave the UK - what will our new flag look like? I hope it's pretty.

image

I don't own any photos of JK Rowling to add to this blog post, hence the crappy doodles of flags.
Should Scotland become independent?
What do you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment