Saturday 27 June 2015

Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2015

In April we went to the Bishop Auckland Food Festival, but typical me I'm only just writing about it now.

Tick-Tock. #BishopAucklandCastle

Mr.R is much better at blogging than I am, he usually writes his blog posts as soon as he has anything to write about, but me, well, I think too much, and then that muddles my mind, and then I invariably decide not to write about whatever it was I was going to write about until tomorrow....... and as tomorrow never comes, neither do my blog posts.......

It wasn't all real ale, vodka, and cup cakes. There was this too - architecture. 😁 #BishopAucklandCastle

So, today I am determined to get stuck in, and write some blog posts, as I have millions in my head. Well, not millions, but a lot, definitely a lot.

IMG_3202
Lovely smiley cheese people

Elsdon Goat Cheese
Mmm, goats cheese

Leaside Cheesemakers
This lemon curd cheese was seriously nice

As I was saying, back in April of this year, 2015, we went with a friend to the Bishop Auckland Food Festival, and a very good day was had by us all.

9ct Shimmering Blood Orange Vodka with Lemonade £2.50. 🍊🍸 Couldn't taste the vodka - but it quenched my thirst.
9ct shimmering blood orange vodka with lemonade - we couldn't taste any vodka :(

wellybix
Lamb dog treats - he doesn't look impressed does he? :o


The drive from our house to Bishop Auckland was wet, it was raining quite heavily, so we weren't expecting to stay long at the food festival, but by the time we'd arrived the rain had stopped and the sun had started to shine.

Geordie Banger
Biddies browsing bangers

Geordie Banger
Just one of the 3 different packs of sausages we purchased, 3 for £10 - these were lovely

geordie banger
Geordie Bangers, Venison sausages, and one with black pudding 

We parked just round the back of the main street where the festival was being held. Then we went straight into a Wetherspoon pub, The Stanley Jefferson, for breakfast. 
The pub is named after Stan Laurel, his birth name was Stanley Jefferson - and there endeth the history lesson.

Breakfast beer! 🍺😁 Werherspoon - The Stanley Jefferson. The Laurel Room, in Bishop Auckland Town Hall, is named after Stan Laurel. Born Stanley Jefferson, Stan Laurel is better known as the thin half of the famous double act Laurel sand Hardy. S

Full English, and a pint of beer eagerly consumed, we headed out towards the food festival.
Directly outside the pub were several food vendors, but the main event was a little further up the road in the grounds of the college.

Full English. 🍴 With beers! 😊 Me and hubby could both enjoy a beer, as neither of us were driving. πŸ‘πŸΊπŸΊπŸ˜¬ Tea for the designated driver. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I'm sure there's some kind of irony; eating a Wetherspoon breakfast before a food festival -
we really went on for the real ale :)

My breakfast beer. £1.89! But thanks to CAMRA voucher it only cost £1.39! πŸ˜œπŸ˜‹πŸ˜ #CoffeePorter #TheStanleyJefferson #Wetherspoon

I had a pint of Coffee Porter, seriously good, and seriously good value - that's why we frequent Wetherspoon pubs, they always have excellent beer 

We browsed the stalls, stopping to buy a few things as we wandered.
As it was in April, and I have a bad memory, and it's now the end of June, I can't remember exactly what we bought, when, or from which company, but my photos pretty much show everything.

The most people I've seen in one place since we moved up North. Another shot from the ladies loos.

Thankfully our friend was the designated driver for the day, so that's one of the reasons why Mr.R and me enjoyed a nice pint of real ale with our breakfast; no driving, and why we also had a few other drinks as we looked round at the market stalls.

Two. Deliciously dark. 🍻 We were forced to sit here, "You can't take alcohol out if this area..."  Despite the fact that there was alcohol for sale 'outside this area'. Oh well, the sun shone, for a while, and the trees were lovely. 😢

wild flower honey


As none of us are interested in celebrities, we didn't bother to watch any of the live cooking displays, and I have no idea who was there this year, although I did see a photo of the chef Simon Rimmer; you know the bloke who does all of the proper work on the Channel 4 programme Sunday Brunch - but I think that was the photo from his appearance last year.

Cupcakes! £1.50 each or 4 for £5. I couldn't decide between Black Forest or Caramac. Bought a Caramac one - walked away and said shoulda got the Black Forest. 😐

cupcake

I bought one cupcake, a Caramac one - nice but sickly sweet, half was more than enough

There were quite a few people at the food festival, and a good selection of tasty food and drink available.
We were pleased with all of our purchases, the Geordie bangers were particularly good, as was the lemon curd cheese, and most importantly the real ale, all of which was delicious.
I think we prefered the beer to the food, simply because Mr.R makes seriously good food, but as of yet we he hasn't brewed any real ales.......

Pork and Black Pudding Pie
Mr.R likes Pork Pies

pie
He said this one with black pudding was nice

Anyway, apart from being told that we couldn't take our beer, which we'd purchased in one area of the food festival, into another by a jobs-worth security muppet, we all enjoyed the food festival.
At the time, I was irritated that we'd been forced to stay in one area to finish our beers, albeit a nice area with tables and chairs, and lush green grass, and sunshine, and I was even more pissed-off later when we were back at the house and Mr.R mentioned that the information he'd read about the food festival stated that you could take your drinks with you wherever you wanted.
I wish I'd known that when the muppet security bloke was asserting his power. 
I should have realised that he was incorrect, as before the beer, we'd had a nice fruity vodka, which we'd purchased in the area we were trying to walk back to with our beers.
Oh well, whatever!
I'm rambling about eejit security men, when this blog post was supposed to be about the food festival.

πŸ‘ˆ BEER HERE. CASK ALES & CASK LAGER. 🍺🍻 For 'BEER NERDS' only. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜œπŸ˜¬
Busy beer tent - full of sensible people

And then there was a fight. πŸ‘ŠπŸ’ͺ😳 Joking! But there nearly was when the bloke next to me turned to his girlfriend and said, "Beer Nerd!" when he saw me taking this photo. πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ #Stout

IMG_3217Griffin's Irish Stout

So, yes, back on track, the Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2015 was worth a visit.
We enjoyed a few drinks while we were there, we purchased a few food items to bring home, and the atmosphere was pleasant.

I just realised I've 'borrowed' quite a lot of photos from Mr.R.
I should have just written 'We went to the Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2015 - if you want to read about here's a link to my husbands blog post'. Hahaha!
I could have saved myself a lot of time, and no doubt his blog post is better than this one, oh well.......
Have you been to the Bishop Auckland Food Festival?
What did you think of it?
Where you treated like a naughty school child by a muppet dressed as security personnel? 

No comments:

Post a Comment