Friday 4 April 2014

Bread Virgin

Bread Virgin
White, Wholemeal, and Rye Loaf

I love bread, literally.
I don't mean I really really like it, I actually do love bread. It's always comforting, and better still when it's home baked.
Bread Baking Bread

Bread Baking Bread
Mr.R enjoys bread making, but I'd always thought it was a laborious process, despite him telling me it was very quick and easy to make. Well, apart from the proving time.
So, a little while ago I thought it was about time, at the ripe old age of... Nope, I can't write my age and post it on the World wide web for all to see. Let's just say I am slightly over 21.
Anyway, I decided it was about time I lost my bread virgin status and baked some bread.
Bread Baking Bread

Bread Baking Bread
Mr.R told me what to do, and I did it. Sort of.
What actually happened was Mr.R told me what to do, and then I said I'd never remember what he'd told me, so I wrote it all down.
Then I went in to the kitchen, which is not a room I particularly enjoy being in as I truly believe that cooking is mens work, where I immediately changed my mind about making bread, so I asked Mr.R to help me.
So although I intended to write this post about me losing my bread baking virginity, with the details of how I baked my first ever proper loaf of bread, it wasn't exactly a solo activity - but then losing ones virginity never is.
Thankfully Mr.R obliged, by which I mean he stayed in the kitchen with me, and went through the whole process of bread preparation.
Bread Baking Bread

Bread Baking Bread
My memory is bad. Despite having detailed written instructions, I would never have managed to get much further than weighing the flour before I cocked it up, if Mr.R hadn't been there telling me what to do and when. Bless him!
Mr.R helped guide me through each stage of the bread making process, from weighing the ingredients, (this first loaf was a mix of plain white flour, wholemeal flour, and rye flour) to mixing them together, then kneading the dough, setting the timer for the dough to prove, proving the dough, pre-heating the oven, and finally baking the bread.
Bread Home Baked

Bread Home Baked
So, how did my first ever, or more accurately my first ever with the guidance of Mr.R, bread baking turn out?
It turned out great, even if I do say so myself. And Mr.R was correct, baking bread is a very quick and easy thing to do. Apart from the proving time, when all you have to do is wait, the only bit of activity is the kneading, which if you've got weak wrists like I have, you'll be willing the minutes to fly by fast.
The result of my first home baked loaf of bread was seriously tasty, especially once I'd smothered my culinary creation with lashings of butter.
Bread Home Baked

Bread Home Baked
The proof of my skill in the kitchen can be seen in the photos included in this blog post.
I've even have made a few more loaves of bread since that first one, all of which I did completely by myself. Apparently after you've lost your virginity it boosts your confidence to get in the kitchen, get busy with your hands, and make things rise all by yourself. Not bad for a beginner.
Bread Home Baked

Bread Home Baked

How do you like your daily bread?
Home baked by your own fair hands?
What's your favourite type of bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment