Wednesday 12 August 2015

Morning Tea and Fresh Mango Treats

A friend, who lives a few streets away from us, pops round most mornings for a chat and a cup of tea.
He arrived bright and early several mornings ago carrying a fresh mango, a gift for me and Mr.R. Lovely!

It's always good to see our friend and chat over a cuppa or two. And it's even nice when guests come baring gifts - especially of the food variety.

The mango wasn't quite as ripe as we like it, so we left it to sunbathe in the yarden for a few days.
After a while we realised we hadn't eaten the mango, and the skin was beginning to wrinkle - I guess mangoes need sunscreen too. Hahaha!

Ages ago a friend popped in for a cuppa, and gave us a lovely mango. Finally remembered to eat it this afternoon. 😋
Mango hedgehog, served in old bowls that were left in our house when we purchased it


So, as the mango was more or less ready to eat, but neither of us fancied it, we chucked it in the fridge to stop it over-ripening.
And as was bound to happen with us, we ended up leaving the mango in the fridge for ages; we're not good at remembering to to eat fruit, not because we don't like it, but because it doesn't particularly like us.
It wasn't until out friend asked if we'd enjoyed the mango that we remembered it was still in the fridge.

Anyway, one day I offered to cook lunch, a rarity in our house as Mr.R is the chef.
I said I'd make salmon with some sort of mango concoction. Mr.R took the newest member of our family, a rescue Rottweiler we've named Porter, to his weekly obedience class, and while they were out I thought I'd better get in the kitchen and start cooking.

Once in the kitchen though, I changed my mind. Not about cooking out lunch, but about making salmon with a mango concoction. I fancied bangers and mash with a rich onion gravy, so that's what I made - not much different from fish and fruit is it? Ha!

So, then as I still hadn't done anything with the mango I said I'd make some mango sorbet, as Mr.R absolutely loves it.
But then, I changed my mind again, and said, 'Feck it! Let's just eat the fecking mango before it's wrinklier than a centenarians arse. So that's what we did.
I sliced the mango into three, scored the flesh, scooped out the cubes of fruit, and voila!
We ate the mango in its natural state.
Well, Mr.R ate the mango straight out of its skin. I smothered my portion in vanilla ice-cream.

Mmm, take some lovely healthy mango, and smother it in ice-cream. 😜😋😬
Mmm, mango with piles of vanilla ice-cream - Yummy!


We thoroughly enjoyed the fresh mango, which was surprising as neither of us particularly like mango. Well, we like mango juice, and we love mango chutney, but we're not overly keen on eating the fruit au naturel.
But this mango was beautifully ripe and juicy. Delicious!
Do you like fresh mango?
How do you eat mango, on its own, or do you use it in cooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment