Thursday 3 October 2013

Apple Crumble Recipe

Got apples?



Make apple crumble. 

This morning I cooked. 
It's a rare event in our house because Mr.R is the King of the kitchen. :) 
Mr.R had recently purchased lots of apples, of which we hadn't even had so much as one bite, so I'd decided to make us an apple crumble. 


I never follow recipes, or weigh things, I usually judge everything by whatever makes my tastebuds tingle, and as apple crumble is seriously easy it doesn't really require a recipe. 
But as I wanted to write a blog post. and take photos of each stage of my crumble creation, I thought I'd better measure the ingredients and try to follow a proper recipe. 
The recipe I chose to follow, loosely, is below. I have written exactly what the recipe said, although I realise I pretty much ignored most of it. Haha! :o

Crumble Ingredients ~

300g/10½oz plain flour


I used organic, obviously you can use whatever takes your fancy.


175g/6oz brown sugar


I used fair-trade Demerara unrefined raw cane sugar.
Actually I'm a bit pissed off with myself, because we don't like to eat a lot of sugar, which is why I always use less than half the typical amount in dishes like this, but because I was following a recipe I automatically weighed and added the amount it said. Grrr! 


200g/7oz un slated butter


I used lightly salted goats butter. We don't use unsalted butter in our house. ;) 
I didn't use much butter, about 50g, and then I used seriously delicious coconut oil to make it up to the 200g, or 210g to be exact. :) 
We love coconut oil, and it's very good for health


A knob of butter to grease your crumble dish. 


Crumble Filling ~

450g/1lb apples, peeled, cored, and cut in to 1cm/½in pieces. 
I used about 900g of apples, I think apple crumble is all about the apples. 



50g/2oz unrefined brown sugar.
I didn't add any sugar to my apples, they're sweet enough already. 
I didn't add my apples in their raw state either, I very lightly sautéed them with cider, and raisins. Raisins which has been soaking in cider and raw ginger overnight. Yummy!


1 tbsp plain flour. 
I didn't add the flour to my apples either. I don't think it's needed. 

1 pinch of ground cinnamon
Hmm, I obviously not good at being told what to do because I didn't add 1 pinch of cinnamon, I added a couple of heaped teaspoons. Much better idea. Cinnamon is good for health, why skimp on it. 


Method ~

1. Preheat oven to 180c/350f/Gas mark 4. 


2. Place the flour and sugar in a bowl, and mix together. 
Take a few cubes of butter at a time and gently rub in to the flour and sugar mixture. 
Keep rubbing in the butter until you've used it all and have a mixture that resembles breadcrumbs. 


3. Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. 
Stir well, but gently, being careful not to break up the fruit. 


4. Butter an ovenproof dish, 24cm/9in. Spoon the fruit mixture in to the dish, then sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top. 



5. Bake your apple crumble in the oven for about 40/45 minutes. 
When it's browned and the fruit mixture is bubbling, it's cooked. 


6. Serve! 

Apple crumble is good on its own, or with custard, or ice-cream, or whatever you fancy. Cheese is good too. ;) 

We had custard with our apple crumble. 


It was seriously delicious! 


How do you like to eat your apple crumble? 



No comments:

Post a Comment