Saturday 19 October 2013

Crunchy Chewy Oaty Biscuits, Recipe

Oh no! The biscuit packet was empty, the wrapper screwed up on the table. :(

Recently we've been enjoying digestive biscuits with our afternoon coffee, but today I noticed we'd eaten them all. It was the screwed up wrapper that confirmed my worst fears - we were without biscuits. 


There was only one thing to do, make some biscuits.

I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, because I don't enjoy cooking or baking, which is why Mr.R spends a lot of time in our kitchen rustling up yummy food for us. 
But for some strange reason I felt like making something, or more importantly I fancied some biscuits and didn't feel like going out to buy any, so home baking it was. 



I quickly searched Google for a recipe. 
I love the Internet. I also do not love the Internet. 
It's too American biased, which is why the search results showed me tons of recipes for biscuits, as in American biscuits, and not what they call cookies, and us Brits call biscuits. 
Anyway, I added UK to my recipe search and voila! biscuit recipes galore. 


Originally I thought I'd make some digestive, but then decided to make some oat biscuits, because I like oats, and I knew we had a packet of them. 


It's been many years since I last baked biscuits, which is why I even bothered to read a recipe. I wanted to remind myself of the basics. 


Here's the recipe I followed. 
If you've read any of my previous blog posts about food, you'll know that I use the word 'followed' very loosely. 

Ingredients ~
Makes 12 Biscuits

120g, 4oz Butter ~ I used Coconut Oil and only a tiny bit of butter. 
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
120g, 4oz Brown Sugar, or Granulated Sugar ~ I only added a level desert spoon of brown sugar. 
120g, 4oz Plain Flour
180g, 6oz Porridge Oats

I also added a few extras to my biscuit mixture. including some seedless raisins, ginger, and cinnamon. 

Method ~
Prep: 10 Minutes. Cooking Time: 10 Minutes. Extra Time: 10 Minutes Cooling. Ready in: 30 Minutes.

1. Preheat the oven to 180c / Gas 4. 
2. Slowly melt the butter and honey. Take off the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. 
3. Place the sugar, flour, and oats in to a bowl, add the wet mixture, stir, and allow to cool slightly. 
4. Put knobs of the mixture on to a greased baking tray. 
5. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool. 
6. If you resisted the temptation to eat the biscuits straight out of the oven, you've got better willpower than me, and you deserve a treat - have a biscuit! ;)


As you can see from the photos, I didn't put knobs of the biscuit mix on to an oven tray. 
My mixture seemed way too dry for that, so I just squashed it all down flat on to the oven tray, then randomly marked rough square shapes. 
(After I'd baked my biscuits I was the reviews on the recipe I'd used, several said their mixture was too dry, so at least it wasn't me being an eejit). 


When my biscuits had cooked for about 15 minutes they were still very soft and looked a little raw, so I turned the oven right down low, to about 100c, and left them to cook a bit more. 


As is usual with me, I then completely forget about the biscuits. This is another reason Mr.R does the cooking in our family, I lose I interest after a few minutes. 
Thankfully after about 15 minutes the dog started sniffing crazily at the kitchen door, which reminded me I was baking. Oops! Hehehe! :o



The biscuits looked good, but they still felt squishy, more like flapjacks than biscuits. 
But as they were beginning to go very dark around the edges I thought I'd leave them on the worktop to cool. 
I thought if they didn't turn out quite like biscuits, we could eat them as flapjacks. ;) 



After the biscuits had cooled, and we'd taken the dog for a walk, (he deserved a nice long walk for saving the biscuits from burning), I was pleased that they had set like biscuits. They were crispy, and more importantly they tasted delicious. I knew they'd taste nice though, because I'd already nibbled a few pieces as soon as I'd taken them out of the oven. :D


My Oaty Crunchy Chewy Biscuits were a 
success, they were very oaty, with a strong flavour of ginger and cinnamon, and lovely chewy raisins. :)  

How are your kitchen skills? 

No comments:

Post a Comment