Monday 13 July 2015

Jolie Laide - Beautiful Ugly. Remembering Our Life in France

This afternoon I've been thinking about our old life in the South of France, probably because we enjoyed lots of lovely sunny days there, and here today (in the North of England) it is dull, wet, and windy. Summer 2015!

P4270007
France was one of our favourite places we've lived

And then for an unknown reason the words Jolie Laide came into my mind.
Jolie Laide translates from French into English as, Beautiful Ugly. 


Untitled
Montpellier


I think of it as something like, if you shine within, then you'll be beautiful on the outside.......
Although beauty is a nonsensical thing, all in the eye of the beholder etc.
And what is beauty? I know we are programmed by the media to see certain places, people, things, as 'beautiful', but does that mean they really are?
Oops, rambing!

P1040009_1
Decorative drainpipe in Fitou

So, yeah, Jolie Laide, it means Beautiful Ugly. 
It just randomly came into my mind, and I liked it, so I'm sharing it with you. You're welcome! Hehehe!

image
Wild boar feet nailed to a neighbours door

Well, that's all pretty random isn't it? Hahaha!
No idea why I suddenly remembered those two words, or why I felt like blogging about it - but if nothing else it's a good excuse to share some photos of France - not that I ever need an excuse to reminisce about our old life.......

It could be worse, I could have added even more photos to this blog post, I think we have about 50,000 that we shot in France.

Hmm, I just realised that I've uploaded four photos, and as I don't like even numbers - here's another one.

image
Wine? Yes! Yes! Yes!

I wish I was in the South of France now, or anywhere that's nice and warm and sunny.
I'm not complaining though, I'm very grateful that I can see the sea from every room in our house. 
Sadly it's not the Mediterranean Sea - it's the North Sea. Ha!
It's beautiful to be living right by the sea, but ugly that it's not somewhere warmer.......
What's your favourite type of view?
Do you love sea views?
Or do you prefer a countryside view?
Or something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment