Thursday 5 November 2015

Fog, Beach, Dogs, Chillies, Homemade Chicken Pie, and Love

Bright and early this morning, no, early this morning; it wasn't bright it was still quite dark and very foggy, we took the dogs to one of our local beaches.

The beach we chose to go to today is only about a ten minute drive from the house - even driving slower than usual due to the fog.
The weather was random, some of the journey there was thick fog, and other parts of the same road it was more or less clear.
Anyway, we arrived at the beach, parked the car, and got the dogs out. They were both keen to get moving, eager to get down on the sand and run.

See the sea? Nope! It was a bit foggy when we walked in the sand dunes down to the sea this morning. 😐 Lovely calm morning though. 😊
Foggy walk in the sand dunes

The walk down to the beach from where we park the car, leads through the sand dunes, which were not looking as lovely as they do when the sun is out.

Rose hip. Nice bit of red in the sand dunes. 😊
Rose hips, a splash of red in the sand dunes

As soon as we were on the beach we had a good look around to make sure it was safe to let the dogs off their leads.
Well, we had as good a look as was possible considering we couldn't actually see particularly far into the distance.
Thankfully we had a decent stretch of sandy beach to ourselves.

Fishing net and rope wrapped around a piece of plastic pipe. And the sea, which you can't see, cos - fog. 😉😐
Beach debris - fishing net wrapped around a piece of plastic pipe

I had the dogs football in the rucksack so I ran ahead of Mr.R and the dogs, which is what I usually do, so that the dogs get at least one good long run before we have to put them back on their leads; if other dog walkers let their dogs come running at ours etc. 
Mr.R had let Porter off lead a few seconds before he released Barely, as he wanted to give Porter a bit of a head start. It worked, well, briefly, as Porter came running full pelt towards me, just before Barley zoomed along and caught up with him. As they were almost next to me I booted the football even further along the beach, as the dogs sped past to catch it.
Porter managed to get to the ball first, and then he ran around with it for a while, before letting Barley grab it.
Then Barley ran with the football, zooming all over the beach in huge circles before he relinquished the ball for Porter to run with.

Porter, in front, full of energy. Barley, seriously tired, lagging behind. 🐕⚽️💨🐕💤
Porter, full of energy - Barley lagging behind

The dogs continued to run, chase the ball, and enjoy themselves for a while, before it all got too much for Barley. 
He was unusually tired, and didn't have the energy to run at top speed like he usually does, and so we made a slow stroll back towards the car.
Porter was also tired from running, but that's normal for him because he's always trying to keep up with Barley.

Same, but different. Porter, in front, full of energy. Barley, seriously tired, lagging behind. 🐕⚽️💨🐕💤
Same but different - Porter with the ball, Barley with his tongue hanging out

The drive home was slightly less foggy, and we were all pleased to be back in the house - shutting the dull weather outside. 
After I'd fed Barley and Porter their breakfast, and eaten some breakfast myself; Mr.R didn't want anything to eat, he very rarely eats breakfast, I got to thinking about lunch. 
Yes, I'd only just finished my breakfast and I was already thinking about my next meal. 
It's not that I'm greedy, although I am constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat next, it was that I'd offered to make lunch. 
It must have been a brief moment of madness, I don't usually do the cooking, Mr.R does it all. But I had mentioned a while ago that I fancied making a pie.
Mr.R went food shopping yesterday, and one of the things he bought was some chicken - for me - to make a pie. I took the hint.

First things first, the pastry.
Before I did anything for the pie filling, I quickly made some shortcrust pastry. And I do mean quickly.
Until recently I had always thought I a person who did things fairly quickly, but lately I have realised that the exact opposite is true. I am slow. I am slow at doing pretty much everything I do, whether it be cooking (albeit a rare occurrence), vacuuming, washing-up, or even showering. I take ages to do everything.
But, I was quite tired, and my shoulder is very painful (damaged rotator cuff, thanks to Barley - but that's another story), so I wanted to knock up some pastry and sit down for a while before doing anything else.
I know shop bought pastry is pretty decent, but making pastry is so easy I'd rather make my own - plus it tastes much nicer. 

So, flour in a bowl, I chucked in some chunks of butter, rubbed it all together with my fingertips, (no machinery was used) and that was it. Pastry. Proper homemade pastry. 
I wrapped the pastry and bunged it in the fridge.

Chicken pie. 😋
It ain't pretty, but it was made with love

After a little rest I started to make the pie filling.
Now, this pie is not a typical, or traditional, chicken pie.
Initially I thought I'd make a chicken and leek pie. 
Then I thought I'd make a chicken, leek, and mushroom pie. 
And then I thought I'd make a chicken, leek, mushroom, and various other ingredients we like pie.

Chicken pie. 😋
As I said, it's no looker, but its taste - seriously gorgeous

So, I started by sauteeing a leek, once it was lovely and soft I added loads of garlic, some turmeric, loads of black pepper, and a couple of chillies.
Yep, chillies! We are obsessed with chillies, we put them in almost everything we eat. 
Once everything was cooked I added carrots, peas, and mushrooms. I cooked everything for a while longer and then I added some chicken stock.
Cook, cook, cook, simmer, simmer, simmer, and that was it - apart from the chicken.
I chopped up some fresh chicken, and sauteed it in a pan.
Then I added the chicken to the other ingredients, rolled out the pastry and topped the pie dish.
I sploshed the pastry top with some olive oil. We haven't got a pastry brush; keep forgetting to buy one, and we don't have milk in the house, and I don't believe in using an egg - it's a waste of an egg. ;)
Pie assembled, Mr.R put it in the oven. 
I'd also put some potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower on the hob to slowly steam. 
And that was it, my kitchen activity was over for the day. 
I retired to the living room. Mr.R took over the kitchen duties.
I am not good at taking things out of the oven, so I asked Mr.R to finish off lunch, which he did.

Chicken pie. 😋
Chicken, leek, mushroom, and 'various other ingredients we like' pie

How did our chicken, leek, mushroom, and various other ingredients we like pie taste?
It was absolutely delicious, nice big chunks of succulent chicken, lovely sweetness from the leeks, carrots, and peas, and a tasty hit of heat from the chillies. Perfect!
I love homemade pies, and this was very enjoyable.
Do you like homemade pies?
What's your favourite savoury pie filling?


No comments:

Post a Comment