Saturday 11 October 2014

Delicious Double Chocolate Cheesecake. Lindor Lindt and Plain Chocolate with Orange

This morning I made a seriously good Lindt chocolate cheesecake, by accident.

I don't mean I made the cheesecake by accident, and I'm not even sure if it's possible to make a cheesecake accidentally, or any other food for that matter.
What I mean is I made a Lindt chocolate cheesecake by accident.
The Lindt chocolate was the accident, the fact that the cheesecake is chocolate, was intended.

Lindt Lindor. Milk chocolate. Food.

Our local supermarket is a Co-Op.
We are perfectly happy with that fact, as it's very handy having a shop that sells food within a couple of minutes walk from the house.
But as it is a small local Co-Op the stock is understandably fairly limited.
And this is how I came to accidentally make a Lindt chocolate cheesecake.

Double cream. British double cream. Food.


This morning we went out as usual to walk Barley, our gorgeous Lurcher, and on the way back to the house we popped into the Co-Op.
By we, I mean me, as Mr.R had to wait outside in the cold with Barley.
I seriously, and honestly think that dogs should be allowed everywhere. No, not allowed, welcome. Dogs should be welcome everywhere.
But, alas they are not, and this blog post is supposedly about cheesecake. So, for now, I'll say no more about dogs.....

Right, where was I?
Oh yes, I popped into the Co-Op as I wanted to buy what I needed to make a white chocolate cheesecake.
But as I've said, the Co-Op is limited in what it can stock, so I couldn't get exactly what I wanted.

I wanted some organic butter.
Non-organic was the only choice.

I wanted a packet of malted milk biscuits.
I bought chocolate digestives, as there were none without chocolate, and also a packet of shortbread, because I didn't want the cheesecake base to be too chocolatey.
That may not sound right, something being too chocolatey, but at 7am this morning the thought of chocolate make me feel sick, so less chocolate for the biscuit base seemed like a good decision.

I wanted some cream.
There was a choice; thick cream, single cream, and whipping cream.
I bought thick cream.

I also wanted a large bar of white chocolate.
There wasn't any.
I bought a bar of Lindt Lindor milk chocolate.
So that's how I accidentally made a Lindor Lindt chocolate cheesecake. Well, sort of, mine had dark chocolate with orange in it as well.

Lindor Lindt milk chocolate. Plain chocolate with pieces of orange. Melting chocolate in a Bain Marie. Food.


I think that's about it ingredients wise.
Co-Op shop done, we returned to the house, where I sat messing about online for ages, before finally forcing myself to get up off of the sofa and into the kitchen.
I fancied cheesecake, and I felt like making it, but the living room was nice and toasty, and the kitchen was cold, hence my lingering in the warm.

Anyway, I braved the cold and set about making the chocolate cheesecake.
I am exaggerating slightly, the kitchen isn't that cold, it's just that I am usually feeling cold, no matter the weather or conditions.
Right, so, cheesecake.
As I know I've said before, I rarely follow recipes. I rarely cook. Mr.R is the King of the kitchen in our family.
Having said that, I did have a chocolate cheesecake recipe to hand, it was one I'd found via Google, before going out this morning. I'd googled recipes because I wanted to remind myself of the quantities of cream, cheese, chocolate etc. that I'd need.

McVities. Chocolate digestives. Biscuits. Food.

I started to weigh my ingredients.
Yes, I did weigh them, properly. Well, almost properly.
I added slightly more of some things, and slightly less of others, to suit my feelings.

As I'd been awake since 5am I was feeling pretty tired by the time I started to make the cheesecake at about 11am, so I thought it'd be best to pay attention to the method on the recipe; when to mix what, and with what. I didn't want to mix the cream with biscuits, or some other mishap resulting in the cheesecake being ruined.

Shortbread biscuits. Butter biscuits. Food.


Here's my recipe, which is a jigged about version of one I found online.

Ingredients - 
Serves 8
  • 150g (5 oz) biscuits - I used shortbread and a couple of chocolate digestives.
  • 45g (1 1/2 oz) of butter.
  • Teaspoon of honey. I used organic raw honey.
  • 120ml cream. I used thick cream. British cream!
  • 200g cream-cheese. I used Philadelphia Original.
  • 200g milk chocolate. I used Lindor Lindt Milk Chocolate.
  • 200g plain chocolate with orange pieces. I used Lidl chocolate, not Lindt.
  • A splash of Baileys Chocolat Luxe. We had a free miniature in the fridge that we received in the post ages ago, so I thought I'd use it in this cheesecake. 

Method - 

Crush the biscuits until they are the consistency of bread crumbs. 
I used a pestle and mortar, because that's what we have, and it works perfectly.  


Crushing biscuits in a pestle and mortar - because that's what we have, and it works well. Shortbread. Chocolate digestives. Food.


Crushing biscuits in a pestle and mortar - because that's what we have, and it works well. Shortbread. Chocolate digestives. Food.

Melt the butter. Then add the honey.


Butter.


Butter.

Add the crushed biscuits to the melted butter. 


Crushed biscuits. Melted butter. Food.


Crushed biscuits. Melted butter. Food.

Mix the crushed biscuits and melted butter together until all of the butter has been absorbed.


Crushed biscuits and melted butter for base of cheesecake.


Layer the bottom of a tin to form the base of the cheesecake. 
I used a small loaf tin, because that's what was to hand.


Crushed biscuits and melted butter for base of cheesecake.

Put the biscuit base in the fridge to set.


Crushed biscuits and melted butter for base of cheesecake.


Melt the chocolate and leave it to cool.


Lindor Lindt milk chocolate. Plain chocolate with pieces of orange. Melting chocolate in a Bain Marie. Food.

I seem to have forgotten to take a photo of the melted chocolate, shame because it looked lush, all silky and smooth. I probably forgot because I was also making videos as I made the cheesecake - it was all too much for my poor tired brain. ;)

Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. 
I used a hand-whisk, because that's what we have.


Whisking double cream into soft peaks of deliciousness. Food. Cream. Double cream.


Whisking double cream into soft peaks of deliciousness. Food. Cream. Double cream.

Add the cooled chocolate to the whipped cream, gently folding until they're thoroughly combined. 


Mixing melted chocolate and whipped cream. Cream. Double cream. Chocolate. Food.

Leave the chocolate and cream mixture aside while you get on with the next step.


Double chocolate and double cream. Cheesecake. Food.


Beat the cream-cheese until it is a soft smooth consistency. 


Beating cream cheese until it is soft and smooth. Food. Cheese. Cream cheese. Philadelphia cream cheese.


Gently fold the cream-cheese and chocolate cream mixture together until thoroughly combined. 


Mixing double cream and chocolate with cream cheese. Food.


Mixing double cream and chocolate with cream cheese. Food.

Add some Baileys Chocolat Luxe, or some other booze, or nothing.


Adding Baileys Chocolat Luxe to double chocolate cheesecake mix. Food. Booze. Miniature.


Take the biscuit base out of the fridge.
Pour the chocolate, cream, cream-cheese mixture over the top and spread evenly. 


Spreading double chocolate mix onto biscuit base. Cheesecake. Food.


Spreading double chocolate mix onto biscuit base. Cheesecake. Food.

Refrigerate the cheesecake for about an hour, or until the mixture has set.


Eat Me. Wise words.  Double chocolate cheesecake. Food. Dessert.


Make a cup of tea or coffee, or whatever your favourite cheesecake accompanying drink is.
Serve yourself a generous portion of the chocolate orange cheesecake. 


Double chocolate cheesecake. Green tea. Delicious!



Enjoy! 


Double chocolate cheesecake. Green tea. Lush!


I enjoyed my creamy, sweet, chocolate, orange treat.


T'was delicious! Double chocolate cheesecake.


This recipe says it serves 8, but as we don't eat large amounts of sweet stuff, I'm sure this will make twice that amount of servings - at least. And as Mr.R will probably only have a small taste of the cheesecake and not want any more, that means I've got rather a lot of cheesecake to eat. Lucky me!

I haven't tasted the chocolate cheesecake yet, but if it's anything like the last one I made, it will be delicious.
After I typed the previous sentence, curiosity got the better of me, and I went to the fridge to get myself a slice of the chocolate cheesecake, as you can see in the photos.
It was absolutely delicious. As you can see by the empty plate.

Mmm, Double Chocolate, Lindor Lindt and Plain Chocolate with Orange pieces, Cheesecake - I think I love you!
Do you like cheesecake?
What's your favourite cheesecake recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment