Tuesday 10 February 2015

Wat phra Singh, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Reminiscing about Thailand.
I feel the cold.
I'm more or less always cold, even in the Summer.
Today I'm sitting here in the North of England, it's Winter, so obviously I'm feeling cold, which is why I started daydreaming about our World travels in warmer climes.
Thailand!
That's the first place that came to mind. Actually it wasn't, it was the first photo I saw as I scrolled my flickr account.
So, if like me, you are feeling cold, here's a couple of photos of warmth - courtesy of our Thailand travels.

Wat Phra Singh, or to give it its full name - Wat Phra Singh Woramahawihan, is just one of the many, many, many Buddhist temples we visited when we travelled in Thailand.
It's in Chiang Mai, in Northern Thailand, which is such a lovely place that we found it hard to leave. So we didn't, we simply kept extending our stay.

Wat Phra Singh is an active temple. It is also known as 'The Monastery of the Lion Buddha' or 'The temple of the Lion Buddha'.
Hundreds of monks and novices live there.
The temple dates back to the 14th century, when Chiang Mai was the capital of the Lanna Kingdom.
Wat Phra Singh is considered to be one of the finest examples of classic Lanna style architecture in Northern Thailand.
The main chedi is the oldest structure of the wat, it was built in 1345 by King Pha Yu to enshrine the ashes of his father. Since its construction in the 14th century, it has been substantially enlarged.

This reclining Buddha is in one of the smaller buildings. The figure on the bottom right of this photo is a carving on a door.

Gold. ✨ Wat Phra Singh. Temple. Buddha. Door panel. Wood carving. Chiangmai. Thailand.

There were lots of beautiful murals, like the one below, at this temple. Lovely isn't it?

Mural. Art. Tattoo. Wat Phra Singh. Chiangmai. Thailand.

I'm not going to bang on about the history of this temple, that's what Google is for.
And now I've written this blog post, I can only find these two photos relating to it - typical, both of which have been over-edited in various iphone photo apps. I spent a lot of time messing about with various apps during our travels, well, it was something to do on long bus, train, and 'plane journeys.
I do have some more photos, so I'll update this blog post, when, or if I find them.
Have you visited Chiang Mai, in Thailand?
Did you go to Wat phra Singh?

No comments:

Post a Comment