Tuesday 10 March 2015

Spicy Vegetable Soup - Seriously Delicious!

I love soup, and so does Mr.R which is why last week on a very chilly afternoon, I got busy in the kitchen washing, peeling, and chopping lots of lovely vegetables.

But before I prepared the vegetables I raided Mr.R's spice stash.
We eat a lot of spicy food so we have a lot of spices.
Mr.R has a whole cupboard just for spice, it's chock-a-block full of different spices to choose from, but as I'm incredibly indecisive I found it difficult to just pick a couple of spices - so I chose a lot of spices.
I didn't want any of the spices to feel left out. Hehe!

Flavour.
So many good spices and seeds to include in my spice mix

Mr.R has an electric grinder, that he often uses to make spice mixes. Actually it's a coffee grinder, but it does a good job at grinding spices too.
Having said that, I didn't use the spice grinder because both Mr.R and Barley, our Lurcher, were having an afternoon nap.
So I used a pestle and mortar, which was much quieter than the spice grinder, and it gave my arms a bit of extra exercise too.

The spices and other ingredients I used to make the spice mix were, turmeric, fenugreek, sumac, fennel seeds, black mountain pepper, coriander seeds, hemp seeds, mustard seeds, linseeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, and Himalayan pink salt.
That may sound like a strange concoction of ingredients, but as I said I'm indecisive, and also OCD so I got a bit carried away opening jars and packets, smelling the contents, and then thinking, 'Yes, I'll chuck some of that in too...'! 
Odd spice mix? Nope! It tasted seriously good, and it was full of healthy ingredients.

Smells seriously good.
It took a while to crush the seeds to a fine powder, but it was well worth it

As I began to crush the spices with the pestle and mortar and the aromas introduced themselves to each other, the spice mix was making me salivate, they smelt seriously good.
I used the pestle and mortar for a few other ingredients too, including lots of garlic.

I love veg.
Cavolo Nero - Black Cabbage 

I used whatever vegetables we had in the house.
So the soup was made using, onion, garlic, carrots, courgettes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, peas, sweetcorn, potatoes, Spring greens, Cavolo Nero (Black Cabbage), and last but most definitely not least my wonderful spice mix.

Raw.
I didn't peel all of the vegetables, potato skin adds thickness to the soup

I'm very slow in the kitchen, it takes me ages to do anything, but eventually I'd made a really lovely spice mix, and prepared all of the different vegetables I wanted to use in the soup.
All there was to do now was saute the onions until they were sweet and golden brown, then cook the spice mix for a few minutes, before finally adding the raw vegetables to the saucepan.

Cooking. So vibrant.
The soup was beautifully bright during the cooking process, almost neon

Cooked. Seriously good vegetable soup. 🍵👍😋
Voila! The finished dish, seriously delicious, healthy, and hearty vegetable soup


A couple of hours later (I like to cook soup slowly so that all of the flavours can mingle nicely) the soup was all ready for dinner that evening.
We had some bread with it, made by Mr.R. The soup was seriously delicious!
Are you a lover of soup?
Do you like to make your own soup?
What's your favourite soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment