Monday 10 March 2014

Konjac Puff Sponge Review

Konjac Sponge, Cleanser and Exfoliator

I'm sure you've heard about the Konjac puff sponge, it's been used as part of the Japanese skin care regime for thousands of years. At least that's what I read on the Internet.

Konjac is a root vegetable, the Konjac puff sponge is made of 100% natural vegetable konjac root, which means there are no nasty chemicals.

Konjac Sponge


There are several different Konjac sponges to choose from depending on your skin type and requirements.
I purchased the white sponge, which is suitable for all skin types. It is soft and gentle, pH balanced, naturally deep cleansing, and biodegradable.

The full range of Konjac sponges are -

  • Green clay for normal skin to combination/oily T-zone 
  • Pink clay for sensitive skin 
  • Red clay for sensitive and dry skin 
  • Charcoal for oily skin prone to acne/breakouts 
  • Pure sponge without additives: for all skin types
Konjac Sponge


I ordered my white Konjac Sponge from Amazon UK, via The Konjac Sponge Company. It was a while ago now but I think it cost £7.99 plus £1.49 delivery.
That may seem expensive for a small piece of sponge, but I think it's worth it. My skin thinks so too.

The blurb on the packet says -

Have a mini facial every day

  • 100% Natural Vegetable Fibre
  • Removes Water Based Make-Up
  • Refines Pores
  • Perfect for Cleansing and Exfoliating the Delicate Eye Area
  • Gently Exfoliates
  • Skin Looks Radiant & Rejuvenated
  • Deeply Cleanses
  • Suitable for Sensitive Skin Types          
  1. Soak and hydrate sponge prior to use
  2. Massage the skin in circular motions concentrating on delicate or problem areas. If you wish, you can add your usual cleanser and the sponge will help it go further and work harder. Alternatively, use the sponge alone and experience the sponges unique properties.
  3. Rinse sponge well after use, squeeze excess water (never twist or wring), then hang to dry in an airy/dry place.
  4. Depending on the care, sponge will last approximately 3 months. Dispose of when damaged or worn. Can be composted.
So, that's the official blurb about the Konjac sponge.
And here are my thoughts about it.

Konjac Sponge


I recently purchased a Konjac Puff Sponge, and I think I've used it for long enough now to write a review about it.

So, what do I think about the Konjac puff sponge?
I like it. It's good. My skin likes it too.
My skin is very sensitive so I've been using the white Konjac sponge once a day, mainly because I'm too lazy to use it twice a day. Plus my skin feels happy with once a day use, and I think my skin would not be quite as happy if I used it more often.
As my skin is very sensitive I haven't used the Konjac sponge with anything other than water. I don't add any cleanser to it.
I could have ordered the Pink or Red Clay Konjac sponge for sensitive skin, but I thought for my first use of this product I would stick to the plain white one, and see how my skin felt before trying one of the sponges with added extras.
Having used the white Konjac sponge I am happy with it, I don't think I will try any of the other versions.
Prior to purchasing and using the Konjac sponge my skin wasn't particularly bad, I just felt it needed a little more attention. I wanted something gentle and chemical free, which is the main reason the Konjac sponges appealed to me. Once I'd read lots of reviews about them, most of which said how good they were, some of which said they were the holy grail of facial cleansers, I thought they'd be worth a try.
Thankfully I thought right.
The Konjac sponge was dry when I received it, bone dry and brittle in texture. I simply held the sponge under warm running water to hydrate it. It only took a minute or two for the tiny piece of sponge to soak up the water and expand in size.
The sponge has a thin piece of thread attached to it, which makes hanging it up to dry a doddle.
I had read some reviews from user who said that they didn't bother to hang their sponge to dry, they left it on the sink or other flat surface, and it didn't dry properly and it went slimy and/or mouldy. It clearly says on the packet to hang it to dry, so that's not a fault of the product.

Since I began using the white Konjac sponge the skin on my face has improved, it looks more luminous, possibly less lined (or maybe that's my imagination) and it feels lovely and soft.
I recommend the Konjac sponge, especially if you are interested in using natural, chemical free beauty products.

You can find all of the information on their website www.konjacspongecompany.com

Konjac Sponge


Do you use a Konjac Sponge?
What do you think of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment