Friday 19 September 2014

Scotland Rejects Independence - No Vote Wins Referendum

Scotland is still part of the United Kingdom.
No surprise there.

Initially I thought about staying up last night, to wait for the results to be reported in the early hours of this morning. But I was tired, and I had a feeling the 'no' vote would win, so I went to bed.

This morning, bright and early, well, actually it wasn't bright it was dull and foggy, but it was early as we prepared to take the dog out for his morning constitutional, but before we left the house I turned on the TV to see the news headlines, and what I already knew - Scotland had rejected independence.

A record breaking 84.6% turned out at the polling stations.
I guess that's something good at least; people taking an active interest in politics, hoping they can make a difference, a change.

So, that's it, for now, Scotland will remain part of the United Kingdom.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's an odd feeling when you think you know the outcome, the result, of something, and then you find out you were correct, and rather than feeling pleased, you feel down. That's how I felt, when it was confirmed that Scotland are remaining in the United Kingdom.
It's not that I have anything against Scotland in particular, as a country I mean, in fact I am of the opinion that Scotland is the most beautiful country in the World. Or maybe that honour should go to Wales? Either way, I often say that Scotland, and/or Wales are the most beautiful countries, and that's even after spending several years travelling the World where I have seen many beautiful places.
But I digress, so, yeah, Scotland. I don't dislike the country, I simply do not agree with the way the England is treated like a second class citizen.
England always gets the shitty end of the stick.

Scotland receives £1,600 per head more than the English.
That is not fair.
Scotland has free university education for its citizens.
That is not fair.
Scotland gets lots more things for free, that the English do not receive, I'm too lazy to list them all here, but I think you get the jist.
None of this is fair.

But then we do not live in a fair country - unfortunately.

Maybe things are going to change, and not for the worse, but for the better.
Alex Salmond is saying that Westminster must keep the promises it made to Scotland, and be quick about it.
While David Cameron is saying he wants Scottish MP's barred from voting on matters than directly concern England.
That does seem fair.
It is seriously outrageous that currently Scottish MP's vote on things that only concern England. How can that be called democracy?
Wouldn't it be wonderful if David Cameron, or whoever replaces him at Number 10, actually does something for the people, rather than doing things to benefit themselves or big business. They should do something for the people who pay their wages. But will it happen?
I hope so.

Anyway, this was meant to be a brief blog post stating that Scotland voted, they didn't win independence, and they still remain part of the United Kingdom - for now at least.
Ha! Why didn't I just write that? It would have saved me time, and some precious brain cells.
What are your thoughts about Scotland and their referendum for independence?


No comments:

Post a Comment