Thursday 7 May 2015

General Election 2015 - It's All Nonsense!

Today's the day.
Voting for the General Election 2015 commenced this morning.

I don't think the local residents where I live have been particularly gripped by election fever, but it is usually very empty here, I mean there are never very many people wandering about, but today there are people everywhere - presumably coming and going from the polling station.

As much as I am interested in politics, this election hasn't got me gripped. 
None of the political parties are saying much about their plans, and what they are saying is the usual crap they think we want to hear. 

The main reason I'm not overly participating in this election is because I truly believe that our while voting system is archaic and completely unfair. 

I know the UK had a referendum on proportional representation a while ago, but I missed it because I want in the country at that time. 
I am saddened that the general public didn't vote for it, but from what I've read since I've been back in Blighty, it was deliberately made too complicated for people to know what to vote for. Typical dodgy political behaviour!

I think we should definitely have proportional representation in Britain. 

I think the general election should be more about voting for the particular political party of your choice, and not about the party leaders. Who really cares if David Cameron is a complete muppet, or if Ed Miliband eats a bacon sarnie in a certain way, or if Nigel Farage is drunk, or Nicola Sturgeon looks like Sandy Toksvig? 
It shouldn't be important, the media shouldn't bang-on and on about these things, they should stop focusing on character assassinations and concentrate on the important issues.

Barley, our lovely Lurcher - as I said in my blog post yesterdays, he'd make a better Prime Minister than David Cameron - he's better looking too :)

Come voting day, I think voters should be handed a piece of paper with all of the parties listed -
Conservative
Labour
Liberal Democrats
Green
UKIP
SNP
Blah, blah, blah...........
Voters should simply tick the box next to the political party they want in Number 10. 
I don't think there needs to be anything else on the ballot papers, no names of the politicians etc. after all we are really voting for the political party we hope will win the general election - we're not really voting for our local MPs.
It shouldn't be about seats. The way it is now. It's just not a fair system that someone like say, Nigel Farage could possibly receive 15% of the votes but he would only get 1% of the seats in parliament.
How is that fair?
That is not to say I want Nigel Farage running anything in Britain, or that I wouldn't; it's not about my feelings towards Nigel Farage - I'm just using him to make my point.

They say we live in a democracy. But how is our current voting system democratic?
It isn't!
Britain is not a democracy. 

Then once voting in the general election has closed, all the votes should be counted, and whichever political party has the most votes - wins. Simple! And not only would that be a much simpler way to carry out the general election, it would be fair too. The people of Britain would be governed by the political party who most people wanted - what's fairer than that?

Oh, how I wish things were as they should be. By which I obviously mean how I think they should be. 
Maybe I should be in charge of Britain? Or am I sounding like a know-it-all? Hehe!

just don't want to think about how ridiculously outdated and unfair the whole system is. 

have deliberately ignored all of the TV news today, and I haven't read anything political online about the general election. And I'm not in a rush to find out who wins either. 
No doubt I'll find out some time tomorrow, as it'll be all over the news - obviously. 

Right, that's it!
I hadn't intended to write another blog post about the general election - after my long rambling post that I wrote yesterday, but I couldn't resist. 
But hey, at least this one is short, and to the point. Well, more to the point than yesterday's blog post anyway.
And I've uploaded another photo of our gorgeous boy, Barley the Lurcher, and he definitely has my vote. 

Happy voting!

What do you think about our political system?
Do you think it's outdated and unfair?
Did you vote in the proportional representation referendum? 
Or, do you have anything you feel like sharing? If so leave me a comment. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment