Friday 22 May 2015

Tugg Plus Dental Chew Bone - Review

This morning when I got up Mr.R was busy in the kitchen baking some tasty treats for Barley, our wonderful Lurcher.
We usually give homemade treats to Barley, but occasionally he gets a shop bought dog treat as well.
Mr.R likes to make treats for Barley because a lot of the shop bought one are full of bad ingredients, it's usually only me that buys pre-made dog treats; because I like spoiling him - despite knowing deep-down that shop bought treats are never as good as home-made.

When we visited the Quayside Sunday Market in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne a couple of weeks ago I'd purchased him a dog bone from one of the stalls.
The young lady working on the market stall said the treat, called Tugg Plus Dental Chew Bone, was from a company called Husse, and that it was made using all natural ingredients, made with chicken and green tea, and would be good for his teeth, so I thought I'd give it a try. Or rather, Barley would enjoy trying it.

Chicken and Green Tea. All natural dog chew.

From the label -
Dental chew bone with green tea. 100% digestible & natural. 
Contributes to healthy teeth and gums. Eliminates pigment deposits on teeth, removes plaque, reduces tartar build-up and massages gums. Contains antioxidants.
INGREDIENTS: chicken, corn flour, bone collagen, green tea, multi-vitamins, sodium carbonate, potassium sorbate.
Guaranteed analysis: crude protein 10%, crude fat 2.5%, crude fiber 2.5%, crude ash 2.5%, moisture 10%. 

Chicken and Green Tea, all natural dog treat. 🐶🌿😋

I'd forgotten that I'd bought the Tugg Plus treat until this morning; it was Mr.R baking dog treats that reminded me, and as the treats were still in the oven and would be too hot for Barley to eat for quite a while, I opened up the dental chew bone.

I couldn't smell any particular aromas, but Barley was very interested in the bone, so I guess it must have smelt good to him.
Barley took the Tugg Plus Dental Chew Bone outside and eagerly began gnawing one end of it.
It didn't take long before small pieces of the bone were breaking off and Barley was scoffing them, in fact the bone only lasted about 5 minutes, which considering it cost a fiver, well, £4.95 to be exact, I had hoped it would last for a while.

Untitled

Five pound for a five minute chew!
Oh well, Barley didn't seem to care that the chew bone didn't last for long at all, he seemed to enjoy the taste.
And as yet he hasn't pooped all over the place - too much information maybe, but he has a quite a sensitive stomach, and it's not unusual for dog treats to give him diarrhea. Hopefully as this dog chew bone is 'all natural' it won't have any nasty side effects.

As I said, Barley did enjoy chewing the chicken and green tea Tugg Plus Dental Chew Bone, but I doubt I'd buy it ever again - five quid for a five minute chew - it could develop into a very expensive habit. Hahaha!
Also having read the ingredients to copy them for this blog post, I wouldn't have bought this chew bone if I'd had my reading glasses with me at the market; despite it being marketed as 'all natural' there are still a couple of ingredients in it that I would prefer not to give to Barley.
Has your dog tried the Tugg Plus Dental Chew Bone?
Did they enjoy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment